I am opening a little window into my John O’Groats to Lands End (JOGLE) adventure.

These blogs are a combination of photo’s, lessons from the road and the ‘relive’ video that shows my daily journey through the UK. It is not the full story, that is something for a longer conversation or may be a book!

I hope you enjoy your peak into the days of an End to Ender.

Day One – JOGLE

I wake early to the gentle rocking of the carriage and remember that today is the day it all begins. No more preparation. No more time for last minute training rides or decisions on what I need to pack. The time is now.

My room mate for the evening stirs and we open the blind to watch the misty morning transform into beautiful sunshine.

I am a bag of nervous energy. I can feel it bubbling away in the pit of my stomach. Breakfast is eaten slowly and with consideration. I need to eat but you know what it’s like when you are excited – food really has no taste. There is still a long way to go, my next mode of transport is a taxi to take me to the start of my epic journey.

When I wrote those words on my first night in Betty Hill I was still a ball of excitement. I had only pedalled 50 or so miles yet it had seemed like lifetime ago that I left my comfortable home in Cheltenham.

It was this feeling that kept coming back to me every day of the ride, the feeling that each day was more like a week. So much happens in such a short space of time, yet there was still so much space to breath. It was surreal and invited me to think carefully about what it was possible to achieve in a day.

  • Miles : 51.3
  • Meters Climbed : 786
  • Average Speed : 11.9
Day 1 Route Map

Day One #LessonsfromtheRoad

Nothing is quite as scary as it seems – especially when you stop, breath and choose which way to react.

Day One in Photo’s

Packing Light : Deciding what I needed was more important than what I wanted. I took care to limit the amount of kit and opted for essentials only. I could do without shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and use whatever the hotel/B&B had to offer. Which meant using ‘hand soap’ on two occasions!  I used every item I carried apart from the first aid kit – which I must say is something I was happy with.

It was a difficult day traveling to London to catch the train. Rain dogged my journey and my Garmin, the one piece of equipment that I would be relying on to navigate me through the country had frozen and would not reboot. I spent time at the station simply meditating on the options open to me if the worst should happen.  Trying to show a brave front when inside I was secretly scared to death about getting lost.


Getting the best start possible. Charlie, an experienced cyclist himself, was the best driver I could have hoped for. Chatty, funny and full of information about the local area and what I could expect from my first few days on the bike. It was then up to my friend Joe to put me on the right road. Joe was one of my biggest supporters throughout the ride – his daily messages kept me smiling and moving forward.

I spent so many hours focusing on getting to the start line. I had visualised this moment a 100 times.


The skies were unbelievable. I was welcomed to Scotland with the most beautiful blue, which stayed with me for most of my day. Interrupted for no more than 30 minutes by an incredible storm. The photo really doesn’t do it justice. I cycled towards the imposing darkness for about 20 minutes, it was quite surreal and not unlike being in a horror movie. After the sideways rain shower I was greeted by the bright sunshine again and more blue skies enhanced by the vibrant yellow of the highland heather.

The day was done. Time to eat, reflect and enjoy the breathtaking view from the hotel. The first hotel was perfect. My host, Carl, happened to meet me as I came up the drive. He carried my bags into the hotel lobby, introduced me to his son to book in and went back outside to put the bike in the lock up. Giving me the opportunity to find my room and get something to eat as soon as I was ready. As I talked to him later that evening I found out a lot more about what brought him to this place after leaving the RAF and what it’s like to run a hotel in a this beautiful yet remote part of Scotland.

My routine was set out from the beginning. The running order for every night after booking in was as follows:

  • Charge the Garmin
  • A little food
  • Stretch
  • Shower
  • Clothes into wash
  • Evening meal – whilst reviewing the next day’s ride
  • Clothes out to dry
  • Switch charger to the battery pack if used
  • Pack the front pannier for the following day
  • Write my journal & call home
  • Switch charger to the phone before going to sleep

Having a routine was important, there are some things that have to be done before anything else to make sure you have everything ready for when you wake up. Believe it or not my routine was dictated more by the charging of equipment and cleaning of clothes than anything else.

Day One – Relive the event

Work with Nicky and live your adventure

As a bravery coach I support my clients to get curious about living a life full of adventure and find the courage to step out of their comfort zone. We work in partnership – I listen, reflect and empower my clients to create action from inaction and encourage them to follow their dreams and ideas through to conclusion.

Could this be the moment you stopped wishing and started doing?






Nicky completed JOGLE in May 2017 raising money and awareness for Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court. To find out why Nicky chose this charity you can follow this link.

To sponsor Nicky you can head to JustGiving and pledge your donation.




Visit Other JOGLE Journals

Day 2 :